Different types of barcodes available:
- Codabar: Older code which is used in libraries, blood banks, overnight package delivery industry and other information processing applications.
- EAN-13: A Code used throughout the word for marking retail goods. Information is converted into code of 13 characters. The first two or three characters are the country code that the manufacturer is registered. After the country code, there will be 9 to 10 digits and the number 2 and 5 digit supplemental barcodes; hence the barcode may have 14 or 17 digits.
- EAN-8: Compressed version of EAN code for use on small products. Contains 2 or 3 digit country codes, 4 – 5 digits of the data and a digit that checks the sum.
- UPC-A: Universal Product Code seen on almost all retail products in the USA and Canada. It is used for marking products that are sold in the USA. The barcodes recognises the manufacturer and product, so that the cash register will be able to read and look for the price. The code contains the manufacturer ID numbers which is controlled in the USA by the uniform code council.
- Code 128: Very capable code, excellent density, high reliability; in very wide use world-wide. Able to hold more characters, hence able to store more numeric data
- Code 39: General-purpose code in very wide use world-wide. Mainly used in the industries and it is a standard barcode for many governments. A government sector that used this barcode is U.S Department of Defence .
- PDF417: Excellent for encoding large amounts of data, which can store up to 1800 printable ASCII characters or 1100 binary characters. The shape of the bar code can be changed – changing the height or the width will able to increase the storage of data. In order to read the code, it requires having a 2-D scanner, CCD or a laser scanner and special software that is able to decide the code. The data can be printed using professional-grade thermal transfer label printers which can be found in the market.
- QR Code: Used for material control and order confirmation. Able to convert data into 2509 numeric or 1520 alphanumeric characters. It is also able to detect three levels of errors. The code has squares at the bottom left, top right and left corners of the pattern. The code size ranges from 21 x 21 to 105 x105 – shapes of squares. The barcode is linked to the wireless network, that will open another window when the persons take a picture of the barcode using the QR code reader.
Which is a better choice:
|Used in countries for advertising and storing of information
||Storing of large amount of information
|Uses scanner that exist in smart/android phones
||Special scanners and use of decoding software that has to be bought
|Connect to the wireless network
||Able to print, however using lable printer
QR CODES is a better choice, as the scanner is easily accessible. More people are using this for storing of information and marketing.
How does QR code works?
- Taken photo of the code with the QR reader/application/camera that can take QR codes
- Open a browser in the phone
- Information that is stored in the code will be shown
How to get QR codes?
Cost of using a mobile bus:
Advantages of using a moblie bus:
- People are able to recall/remember the adertisment
- Attractive to the people, attract their attention
- An effective way of promoting the exhibit/product
CASESTUDY – what do people think of using mobile advertising:
Client : CALTEX DIESEL
Period of Campaign : 3 Months
Media : Wholly-Painted Taxis with Top
From the responds of 300 people from the age of 21-59 years old…
- 70% are able to recall the advertisment
- 76% are attracted to the advertisment
- 58% agreed that this is an effective way to promote the product/exhibits.
Testimonal of clients:
“NEL in train window stickers, targeting at transit users, is an effective media in a captive environment. The media optimises our exposure within a limited time frame in a
— Oliver Chong Yon Meng,
Senior Manager of Starhub
“We did a train advertising campaign with moovemedia last year in conjunction with our brand recovery campaign. It was very well received and came in tops in our post campaign survey. We also did a very interesting train sampling ( giving away free lens case ) inside our branded trains to very delighted and clearly surprised train riders. Kudos to Shay and the moovemedia team for always being always so supportive in innovative campaign ideas.”
— Product Manager of Visioncare,
Bausch & Lomb(s) Pte Ltd
(Source of testimonals: https://nmtp04lorrainekeong.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post-new.php)
What is geofencing?
Geofencing using the GPS (Global Positioning System) locates people who are currently in the area where it is geofenced – an imaginary perimeter on that area that is marked. When someone enters or leaves a location, a notification is generated.
How does it work ?
Placecast and other location based moblie ad companies have used geofencing for another prupose intstead of the usual security purpose, by creating a location based text mesasge advertistment. This advertisitng method works for all kinds of phones, unlike the other phone ad which only works on smart phones.
Placecast uses the GPS signals from the phones or data that subsribers have purchased from the carriers to locate the subscribers. People who sign up for the service provided by placecast are able to choose the brand that they want to recieve from the brands that have made use of this advertising method. When people are near the location with this service, they will be able to recieve text messages from the differnet retail shops.
This method of promoting is very helpful, as it is able to attract customers by sending message of discounts and promotions. Retailers are also able to use technology to connect with customers to tell them about their brand.
Example of a company that used this is NorthFace, where a text messages of the weather forcast will be send to who ever they enter hike trails or national parks. However, this may be annoying for frequent goers, hence Placecast have restrticted to maximum of only sending 3 of this text message a week.
Although not many people may turn out at the store, but it is still an effect way for marketing. Get people aware of the shop and the brand.
This is a reflection entry in on the Tuesday’s lecture on New Media Landscape by 2 guest speakers.
It really was an eye opener for me (:
1) Reflect on 5 key points each Speaker had mentioned during his presentation.
- marketing strategy used
- how to make your webpage is ranked on the first
- the importance of keyword
- business strategies
- tools to see when the keywords are searched the most
- the importance of researching to convince the clients
- web design
- how long it takes to make one website
- the cost of making one website
- the potential of blog advertising
2) List at least 3 things that has inspired you from this lecture.
The 3 things that has inspired me from this lecture are:
- Be as successful as them
- Enjoy what you are doing
- Preserver despite difficulties that comes your way
3) Do you think its useful to have guest speakers share their expertise, experience and “Tips & Tricks” of the trade? (Explain)
Yes. I have learnt a lot from them, especially from someone who is in the industry which I would like the enter in the near future which I do not know about. With these guest speakers sharing their expertise and experiences I can also decide whether I should be in that industry in the future or select something else. Other than their experience and expertise, I never knew how the google ranking works and it is also useful to know.